Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why we choose to homeschool - part 3



The last two Tuesdays, I have focused on why we choose to homeschool. Last week's post focused on some questions that I have asked myself, I have asked others and been asked by others.

Again today, I will discuss a few more of these questions/concerns regarding homeschooling.

Are you [am I] really qualified to teach children?
As for me, personally, I have a Master's degree. Is it in Physics, Biology, History or Geometry? No! Have I ever had fears running through my head of our children not graduating or that I won't be able to do this? Absolutely! There are SO many subjects that I'm probably going to be re-learning right along with my children. However, I plan to take it one year at a time and one grade or subject at a time. Besides, I'm trying not to focus too much on Physics and Geometry right now. We're working on letters and numbers : )

Also, as many people don't know, many states have free online courses through the public school system for backup or for people that really want to homeschool, but need some extra assistance.

Thankfully, my biggest hope in our homeschooling journey is that it's perfectly OK if I can't do it in my own strength because:

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Phil. 4:13

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5


As a Christian, don't you think your kids should go to school to be a "light"?
To me, that is a loaded question. Do we want our children to be a light for Christ? Yes. Do we want them to learn to love unconditionally and accept others as God would want them to? Yes. Do we want them to be able to learn how to deal with tough situations and life's challenges and respond in a Godly fashion? Absolutely! Do we want them to learn to reach out and help others understand the love of Jesus? Yes, in a huge way!!

However, we have chosen to take this very small window of time that they are home with us to hopefully help them better prepare for those challenges that will inevitably come. We, personally, don't think that letting them learn those things by experience (away from home) during their formative years is the best strategy. [Remember, that is our family's decision...not a rule.]

These younger years are the times when they are learning who they are, what they want to do and be. Who God desires for them to be and what He created them for. As kids, tweens and teenagers, they don't and won't have all of the answers. In fact, they'll have soooooo many questions. We prefer that they don't learn the majority of their responses from their peers and teachers, but from our family and our life in faith- to the best of our ability.

Besides, life presents itself with plenty of situations, hardships and opportunities for character building, even without sending a child to school. They will have the rest of their lives to let their light shine....hopefully very brightly!






No comments: