Wednesday, January 9, 2013

This one thing

So, I have several blog posts prepared for the New Year....goals, lists, ideas, projects, etc.  I'm looking forward to sharing them with you.  However, I can't help but come back to the central theme at where I want to center myself this year -- every year.

I, like many people, get excited about a fresh start and new beginnings.  I realllllly like setting goals, dreaming and making lists in anticipation of moving forward.

In the depths of my soul, I know all of these things (my lists, dreams, goals) are in vain and, dare I say, foolish without acknowledging that I can't do them in my own strength.  That really hits home on the days that I find myself wishing for more hours in the day, additional hands or more energy, [ahem...less laundry or clutter].

In my own strength, I cannot even begin to fully be the wife and mother, home educator and friend, daughter and sister, citizen and helper of the poor/hurting, housekeeper and cook and so on.  It requires more than one can give.  It's exhausting just thinking about it!  When my focus is right, I can wake up and put my trust in the Lord knowing that He is my help.  My strength. Everything else falls in the shadow.



This passage in Psalm 27:4 says it all:

I'm asking God for one thing,
only one thing:
To live with him in his house
I'll contemplate his beauty;
I'll study at his feet.  (Message)

*or a more familiar version*


One thing I ask from the Lord, 
this only do I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the 
my whole life long.
Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
and seek him in his temple. (NIV)


You know that I'm not saying all of my housework and the childrens' lessons will do themselves if I sit and pray all day.  Nor will dinner cook itself.  It just changes everything to truly know the reason why and how I do what I do.  Knowing that I CAN'T do it all. No one can.  Everything changes when my day rests in seeking that one thing.

Particularly for moms, I found this great resource to print out and post as a reminder of the heart behind what we do and where our true strength lies.  I hope this will refresh you and be a daily reminder of who you really are.

Click here to print Super Mom vs. Abiding Mom.



No comments: