Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What we are learning: Spanish

Hola amigos!  So, to tell the truth, I've been a bit disappointed with myself in regards to our progress in Spanish. My goal/dream was for our kids to be bilingual at a young age. : (  Being bilingual myself, having a major in Spanish and a passion for the language and culture, that would have been completely possible... However (with a capital H).

Life has been a bit busy over the last several years, adding new babies to our family almost consecutively for four years, "officially" beginning homeschooling and all of the other things that fill our time, I haven't implemented second language training as well as I would have liked.  It's much easier to stress out in your first language. ha ha

Don't get me wrong, some of my children's first words were "leche", "agua" "hola" and "jugo", but fluency just hasn't happened, yet.

Because I realize there is no time like el presente (the present), we are kicking into high gear. On top of our newly implemented "Taco Tuesdays", where we eat Mexican and latin inspired foods and speak Spanish, we have begun to step up our Spanish during the time we do our other work.

This week, our theme is la comida - food. 

Here are some of the ways we are studying and reinforcing the names of foods in Spanish:




playing Spanish bingo (Eeboo Spanish Bingo)




looking at Spanish/English dictionaries (My First Book of Spanish Words (Bilingual Picture Dictionaries)



I don't have a personal picture, but this is one of the best CD's I've heard for learning Spanish terms. The songs have such fun latin rhythms and are separated into themes, you cannot help but pick up on the catchy tunes. : )



 



And of course....



ROSETTA STONE: SPANISH




Check out some of our previous posts about how we practice  Spanish. I hope this helps for those of you wanting to give your children the gift of a second language.  Adios!




No comments: