Thursday, February 2, 2012

Gratitude = Joy



Isn't it true?! Those who have an attitude of gratefulness, an attitude of thankfulness or a "cup half full" type of perspective seem to light up a room?

I'm not fond of complaining. Maybe it's because I've seen the worst of the worst during my global travels. People who beg for their next meal. Orphaned children...alone and hungry wandering the streets. I'll stop there. We are all aware of the suffering and injustice in the world around us.

My point is that we have so much to be thankful for. Even in times when it seems our "world" is caving in on us...there are blessings. The breath of life, each other, the light of the sun on our faces. They go on and on.

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19: 1

There are those, whom we all know and possibly have in our lives, who can find anything to complain about. Who wouldn't allow a day to pass without declaring it as "not a good day". Those who couldn't even see a silver lining with a magnifying glass. They refuse to look around and be thankful.

I use the word refuse because it is a choice. We choose thankfulness or we choose to be ungrateful.

I so desire for our children to be grateful. We teach them, train them and memorize scripture on thankfulness. Our attitude as parents will weigh so heavily on how they choose to perceive life and circumstances. Are we thankful? Do we display an attitude of gratefulness in our home? Do we respond to what God has done for us and what He has given us?

I've decided to take Ann's Voskamp's Joy Dare in which I will journal those things daily which make my heart leap a little. Moments throughout the day, God's amazing wonders, life's small joys, the many blessings that surround me....that surround each of us daily.

Give thanks in ALL circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thes. 5:18

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 106:1


Here begins my February Joy Dare:


#1... an unexpectedly warm winter day

#2... a quiet moment with my Bible and a book

#3... a little one jumping excitedly in the doorway as I come up the driveway

#4... tiny voices saying "I love you daddy" before he leaves for work

#5... the cry of a healthy, happy new baby in our home

Will you join me in this amazing challenge? What are you thankful for today, big or small?

No comments: