Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Cinco de Mayo 2015

Cinco de Mayo is one of my favorite holidays for various reasons and I usually post something about it. This year, I jumped at an opportunity to take our daughters to a beautiful cultural celebration. 



(My little gringas.  This place was standing room only within minutes.)







In case you just celebrate for the food or cerveza and aren't exactly sure what the occassion is, let me fill you in. On May 5, 1862 the Mexican army defeated the French army at the Battle of Puebla. The battle was the root of the Cinco De Mayo holiday that is now celebrated. Today, it signifies Hispanic and Mexican pride as well as the culture.  



Around our house, we love Mexican food, music, language and of course....Mexicans. Let's not forget how wonderful fiestas and siestas are!!!

Mexico, itself, has very special meaning to me, personally. It's the place that I took my very first international mission trip when I was a teenager, which changed the course of my life in so many ways.  One of them being, my pursuit of learning Spanish.  

Another reason is that one of my dearest friends is a missionary in Mexico with her sweet family. 








I'm grateful to be a part of a local ministry where we live that reaches out to  immigrant families in our area.  Among the many cultures involved, we have gotten to know some precious Mexican families.  I love that our children have had the opportunity to mesh with other cultures, practice their Spanish and expand their worldview.

Each year, the church that many of these local families attend puts on a huge Cinco de Mayo festival.  Free of charge, the ladies cook a MUY GRANDE Mexican meal and the Folkloric Dance teams perform in their amazing costumes.  The afternoon ends with all of the children hitting beautifully colorful piñatas. 

I hope you will enjoy an amazing Mexican meal somewhere today.  Don't forget to show some love to these beautiful people.  A smile and an "hola" is a great place to start. 

Need some ideas for practicing Spanish with your kids? Check this out!



Does your family celebrate Cinco de Mayo?



No comments: