Thursday, July 23, 2015

5 morning habits that make my day much smoother and more productive

I don't know about you, but I absolutely love reading about other people's routines, habits, goals, etc. Not only is it inspiring and motivating, but I guess I just feel like there is always something that can be tweaked or added or removed to help me be more productive, efficient or successful.  

One particular example of what I mean is when I had our fourth child in a 4.5 year span.  I felt a bit overwhelmed and I heard about a book called Large Family Logistics.  This book was geared towards helping large families manage their home. I was like "HELP"! "Teach me your ways"! ha ha  So, I bought the book and we implemented some of the ideas that have helped make managing all of these people and their stuff, more efficient. 

Although I realize my goals, values, dreams, and priorities may differ greatly from the next person, I feel we can all learn from each other in one way or another. 

I'm quite the dreamer and my bucket list, goals, dreams and to do list are pretty long, but wanted to share a few habits.  Also, since mornings are so important in how the rest of our day plays out, I wanted to share a few things that I do in the morning that always help the rest of my day go more smoothly and more productive. 


1. Refresh my soul



Whether it be reading my Bible, a devotional, listening to Daily Audio Bible or praying, when I start my day off connecting with my Creator, so many things happen.  My attitude gets an adjustment and I'm more ready to take on the demands of the day.  I'm reminded of my priorities, my purpose, my values and who I am.  I want more of Him and less of me.  The big picture of life comes into focus.  I find strength. I find joy, peace and hope that can weather any storm (because the storms will come)  My heart becomes full. 



2. Have a healthy breakfast 




















I start every single day with a power packed vegan protein shake.  My shake is so filling, packed with vitamins, minerals and goodness, it helps me get off to a healthy and energetic start.  I add a lot of extras to my shake (coconut oil, spinach, chia seeds, almond milk and berries).  I love that my breakfast is pretty brainless since I make it every single morning. If you haven't tried starting you day off with a protein shake, give it a try!



3. Put on my "power suit" 



No, you're eyes are not fooling you.  I'm talking about workout clothes and shoes. This is my power suit.  Being a homeschooling mom/stay at home mom, comfort is priority. Although I admit, I've spent my fair share of time in pajamas, I've opted not to make that a habit for my sake and the sake of others.  But, I LOVE fitness wear.  It's comfortable, so fun and it's a great reminder to get my workout in sometime during the day! I'm not a morning workout girl.  I never really have been except for a short period in my life where I had to be and that was very stretching and good for a while.  I know a lot of people do work out in the morning and there are many benefits to it, but to each his own and my workouts thrive so much better when I'm awake and fully looking forward to it.  Just a little tip: fitness wear can be crazy expensive, but Marshalls and TJ Maxx have great choices for a fraction of the cost.  This particular shirt was a JCPenny deal for $5 and my shoes were a Mother's Day gift from my honey! 



4. Clean the kitchen


As most of us know, there is never a lack of chores to be done around the home [insert huge sigh].  This is my nemesis.  Yes, I love my family and love serving them and living in a clean and organized home (what is that?!?), but I can't help but feel instantly defeated as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning.  One thing that helps me with this is to start in the kitchen.  I cannot function when the kitchen is a wreck. For me, it's like the epicenter of home life.  If the kitchen is dirty and there are crumbs everywhere, I can't focus on moving on to other areas.  I enjoy taking my time making breakfast for our family and getting the kitchen cleaned up while I listen to my Daily Audio Bible.   I'm not sure how I would function as a public school mom because I love slow mornings in the kitchen. 



5. Read with my girls


Before we jump into our schoolwork for the day, I really really enjoy gathering the girls for reading time in the morning. I described what that looks like in a previous post, but I wanted to add that to my 5 morning habits.  Doing this makes me feel like we start the day off more connected and more calm and it has helped develop a love for reading in them.  They know what's up when I call them to the couch and I love that. 





Do you have a morning routine?  It may look completely different from mine and that's what's awesome...you are you and I am me. 
Enjoy your mornings!




No comments: